Governor McCrory’s Request for Direct Temporary Housing Assistance Approved for Four Counties
Governor Pat McCrory’s request for federal direct temporary housing assistance has been approved to help people displaced from their homes in Columbus, Edgecombe, Robeson and Wayne counties following his meeting with FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate. The governor said the state hopes to add additional counties to the declaration in the coming days.
“Moving people out of shelters and into temporary and permanent housing continues to be one of our immediate priorities,” said Governor McCrory. “I want to thank our federal partners and my team for their incredible work, but we still have a lot of work to do. As our weather continues to be pretty, sunny and hot, many people are still facing dire circumstances in our state and we will continue to do all we can to help them recover.”
Temporary housing has proven challenging because many hotels and rental homes in the impacted communities were also flooded. Currently, 240 people remain in four shelters across the state and more than 1,700 families are living in temporary housing.
Last week, the governor requested direct temporary housing authorization from the federal government to help provide manufactured homes as a temporary housing solution. The state signed contracts last month to ensure that once the request was approved work could start immediately.
According to FEMA officials, manufactured homes are just one of many options available for temporary housing. Other options include rental homes, apartments and hotels. Based on the FEMA contract, more than 165 manufactured homes are now available in North Carolina with others on the way. Officials are continuing to assess the need for these homes in impacted areas.
An additional fatality has been attributed to the storm bringing the total to 28. A Pitt County man passed away as a result of injuries sustained while cleaning up storm debris.
Governor McCrory noted that his team continues to monitor water system issues in Robeson and Brunswick counties. The good news is that the water system in Lumberton should be repaired this week. Additionally, a bypass line should be completed and operational this week in Brunswick County.
While the state continues to work with FEMA, the governor is seeking approval of additional assistance for Carteret, Perquimans, Scotland, Richmond, Anson, Chatham and Northampton counties.
The governor has encouraged individuals and groups to help in the relief efforts by making a financial or other contribution. Monetary contributions to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund for Hurricane Matthew can be made by texting NCRECOVERS to 30306 or by visiting NCDisasterRelief.org. This is one of the best ways to help fund long-term recovery efforts.
Contact: Governor's Press Office
Date: November 3, 2016